Welcome to My Story

I hope this can be a place of sharing and healing. I want to share my struggles and surprises on this journey. I want to help you find healing like I did by relying on my faith and pursuing my dream of writing a children's book. Maddy and Scooter: Unlikely Friends is not only my book, but an action response to my grief. I hope you can give birth to your dream!

Monday, April 25, 2011

L.A. Times Article

Here is a link to a great L.A. Times article out today. 
My Turn: What to expect when we're not yet expecting
It discusses what not to say to women with infertility. I know all of us struggling with these issues have heard various "suggestions" and "advice." I like how the author of this article talks about when people say, "why don't you just..." Like we haven't already thought of that! Like why don't you just adopt? Because it really is that easy. I am sure there is plenty of this "advice" to go around. My favorite one lately is you HAVE to try this medicine...and then the next person I talk to says DO NOT try that medicine it is horrible and you will feel terrible. I guess it is all perspective and whatever works for them. I know people try to be helpful, but not saying anything at all and just giving someone a hug can be the most comfort. I think about the story of Job in the Bible and he had gone through terrible situations losing his family, his home, his health and all of his friends came to support him. For a long time they just sat with him not saying a word and according to Job that was extremely comforting. Then they opened their mouths and told him why they thought all these terrible things had happened, what he should do, and how it was even his fault! Maybe they should have kept their opinions to themselves...as someone very wise once said, "Better to keep silent and be thought a fool, then to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." Let's just remember, advice and suggestions may be helpful, but just keeping quiet and listening is a great gift!

1 comment:

  1. You are wise beyond your years girl! Loved this blog :)

    ReplyDelete